Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kipped 2: Traditional or Indie publishing, that was the question

Another question I've been asked:  Why not traditional publishing?

I tried traditional publishing.  I had no idea at the time that it was going to fade because of the advent of eBook (which was being touted as a fad and no match for tradition).  

My efforts to query were successful with more than one publisher, but because of the rumors that were already flying on the net and in the market place, I was already taking a serious look at Ebooks.  After a lot of prayer, research, and my gut feeling, I opted to go Indie.  Now, a year later, while traditional publishing is going the way of the Dodo bird, I see divine intervention again. 

Here's one personal example of why the current/traditional system doesn't work: 

8 months after I had sent the email query for 5 Blanks to multiple sources, I was called and a publisher wanted to know if 5 Blanks had been sold yet.  No it wasn't, I told her, but I had already self-published 5 books; ironically, the very first to be published was 5 Blanks.  The publisher was disappointed, but assured me the query was good enough that she wanted to try. 

I had wondered why it had taken them so long to contact me and I was told my query had ended up on the slush pile.  Some may ask by accident or design?  In hindsight, I have to say by design.  The traditional market, as most people are coming to realize, is losing its monopoly. 

I informed the publisher about what I was currently doing.  They assured me that they would be very interested in looking at anything else I wrote.  In a way, the call was a verbal nod to my talent - a tender mercy of sorts that reaffirmed my faith that what I was writing was good enough for publishers. 

I'm really grateful now I didn't succumb to the temptation of going with a traditional publisher.  I read in David Farland's Kick in the Pants articles that some traditional publishers are heading for years of litigation because they are not paying their authors the royalties earned.

Bottom line:  God understood all of this before it even happened and gave me a heads up and set me on the right path. He has been good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment