Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Writing a book Step Three: Discipline

Step One:  Dream
Step Two: Desire
Step Three: Discipline

Writing is... wait for it... WORK!  
This four letter word seems to be the step where most people get lost or permanently lose their desire.  This is a business and to succeed, you must treat it like one.   As an Indie Author, I am my own boss.  If I fail to host a full-spectrum prism of personal responsibility for my books, my career fails.   

I spend an average of 8 hours a day, but during crunch time I have been known to spend up to 16 (my record was 20, or was it 22?).  As much as possible, surround yourself with experts.  My group consists of pre-readers/editors/family/friends.  

I know my weaknesses.  Marketing is not my favorite thing to do.  While I write, my husband's main job when he has free time, is to find and share articles/books about writing/publishing/marketing.

A BIG PLUS: I have adult children.  They offer insights to characters they do/don't like and why. I do not always take their advice.  I decide because I'm the author.  If the issue comes up more than once, I take it more seriously.  I role-play with my oldest daughter to let the creative juices flow.  It is a phenomenal experience!  I have an enormous extended family who are willing to read - many are NOT readers, but become my fans.  Whenever that happens, the magic spawns more creative juices.

Did I mention the flame of genius is fickle?
For some reason, people I've talked to/read about feel that if genius is not burning, they can't or shouldn't write.  Here's some bubblegum for your brain (if this is the way you feel).  Since most authors must have a job in the "real" world in addition to listening to their muses,  what would happen if you didn't go to work in the real world until you felt like it?  What would happen if you called in and told your boss that you weren't coming in today because your muses were silent?   The same goes for writing.   If you want to succeed, you must WORK.

The biggest flower in my basket of discipline:  Rewrites.  As an author you have to be willing to RE-write whatever you need to and continue for as long as it takes to whip your manuscript into shape.  I was willing to comb through my manuscripts as many times as it took - each time tightening loose bolts, or eliminating fluff.  The upside to rewrites: you learn to write cleaner manuscripts so your effort won't take as much editing.

Recap:  take personal responsibility for your work, treat writing like a business, surround yourself with people who make up for your weakness, be willing to rewrite when necessary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment